22-12 Channel of Openness – Human Design
The Human Design 22-12 Channel of Openness is a highly social energy that has the ability to impact others through warmth and emotional expression.
In your Human Design Chart, your channels represent how life force flows through you. It is significant to your chemistry, your charm, your essence that communicates with the world.
Channels sit within three circuits (individual, collective and tribal), further highlighting different values, principles, emotional needs and core beliefs that come with each channel/circuit.
Each of your defined channels characterisies a specific theme, function or gift that is consistent and reliable within you. If this channel isn’t defined/activated it doesn’t mean that you don’t have access to it, it just means that it shows up in various ways and in it’s own timing.
In this article you will find information relating to the 22-12 Channel of Openness, including:
- What is the Channel of Openness 22/12
- How do you know if it activated in your Human Design Chart
- How does unconscious or conscious definition affect its impact
- High expression and challenges of those who have this channel defined
What is the 22-12 Channel of Openness?
The 22/12 Channel of Openness according to Traditional Human Design is ‘a design of a social being’. It is a warm energy that can be charming and influential when your moods are honoured.
It is the combined energy of Human Design Gate 22: The Gate of Openness and Surrender and Human Design Gate 12: The Gate of The Channel and Caution.
- Gate 22 is all about emotional understanding and offering grace and compassion to self and others. It looks to Gate 12 for support to express emotions through art and in discerning what is healthy.
- Gate 12 is all about emotional expression and mastering communication. It looks to Gate 22 for grace, compassion and support in labeling feelings.
The Channel of Openness is also categorised as a Manifested Channel this simply means that the channel is connected to the throat and a motor centre (solar plexus). Expressing the energy located here follows the same strategy as our Manifestor energy types – ‘to inform in order to initiate’. What does this mean? That you need to trust in the right timing and initiate from a place of inner knowing and clarity – and inform those who will be impacted. It is important to know the difference between initiating from a conditioned mind and a natural intensity to start.
How do you know if the Channel of Openness 22/12 is activated in your Human Design Chart?
The Channel of Openness 22/12 is activated through Gate 22 located in the Solar Plexus and Gate 12 located in the Throat.
It is part of the Individual (Knowing Sub-Circuit) Circuit, meaning those who have it activated are here to be different and unique in order to bring change into the world. As it sits in the Knowing Sub-Circuit it is deeply auditory by nature in terms of learning and expression. Their path can also be one of vulnerability and struggle, and because it is such a personal journey it can also be quite lonely.
High Expression of 22-12 Channel of Openness
In it’s highest expression the 22/12 Channel of Openness shows up as:
- Empowering others through the depths of your emotions and your unique expression
- Creating receptive environments for transformative awareness
- Keen sense of timing and awareness of others openness
- Extremely articulate and able to move people through the quality and inflection of your voice
- Charming and deeply social
Challenges of 22-12 Channel of Openness
Challenges that you may face with the activated 22/12 Channel of Openness include:
- Needing to hear something several times before fully knowing it
- Learning patience and not to act impulsively from the mind
- Honouring your moods and desire to socialise (or not!)
- Fear that others will see you as strange and reject you
How does unconscious or conscious definition affect channels?
When channels are defined (coloured) they provide consistent, reliable communication between the two energy centres they connect in your chart.
- When channels are conscious (coloured black in traditional charts and orange if downloaded from this website), you are likely aware of how this energy plays out in your everyday life.
- When channels are unconscious (coloured red in traditional charts and purple if downloaded from this website), you may not have realised they were there unless pointed out by others. Or you may have thought that everyone felt that way.
If you have both colours it simply means that you have a mix of conscious and unconscious energy. And you may not have realised the full breadth of potential available to you or been able to articulate the gift within.
Reflective Questions for 22-12 Channel of Openness
If you have the Channel of Openness defined reflect on the following questions:
- What does grace mean to you, and how does it relate to your creative expression?
- How do you creatively express yourself and your emotions?
- How can you connect more deeply with your creative power and channel it into your artistic endeavors and emotional well-being?
- Do you silence or try to control your emotions and creative expression? How does this impact you and your well-being?
- What needs to be healed or released with you to deepen your connection with this energy?
- Do you use the energy of this channel in a positive or negative way towards your self and/or others?
- How did this energy show up in your childhood? Were you ever seen as strange? Did you need to hide this energy? Or were you taught to embrace it? How does it show up for you today?
- Are you using this energy to it’s full capacity? If not, what will you do differently?
Remember to have the Channel of Openness activated in your Human Design Chart, both Gate 22 and Gate 12 must be defined.
If you only have one of these gates activated, it is called a hanging gate and you will likely find you naturally attract those who have the other Gate defined – also called the Harmonising Gate. Be sure to go check out each of these gates for further details on how their energies play out.
Lastly, if one of the gates of the defined channel sits in your Incarnation Cross you will find your life purpose is naturally generating energy all of the time. You are not waiting for the energy of the stars or others for your Cross to function or power up – the light is always on!
Meet The Author
- Bunnell, Lynda & Ra Uru Hu. The Definitive Book of Human Design: The Science of Differentiation. HDC Publishing, 2017.
- Parkyn, Chetan. Human Design: Discover the Person You Were Born to Be. New World Library, 2009.
- Rudd, Richard. Human Design – Circuitry. Gene Keys Publishing, 2021
- Magnusson, Brynja. Incarnation Cross. Ceremoniance, 2021
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Some links on this blog post may be affiliate links that can result in small commissions and help support the site.
If you loved this article please feel free to share this on your favorite social page
Inner work tips and tools
Sign up to our newsletter, no spam, just free helpful advice for life-harmony seekers.
We respect your privacy. We will never pass on your details. We promise.