Human Design: Saturn Return, Uranus, Chiron Return
Ever felt like your whole world is getting shaken up? Thanks to astrology and human design we can pinpoint these transition times to four main periods in life based on your Human Design Saturn Return, Uranus Opposition and Chiron Return.
Using these modalities we can get insight into key themes and new ways of thinking to help ease our way through.
There are four major transition periods we go through in life and they happen at certain ages. The Human Design and Astrology world can help us prepare and understand these transition periods so we are not left wondering what on Earth is happening to us. There four major transitions are:
- Saturn Returns: age 27-29
- Uranus Opposition (Nodal shift): age 38-42
- Chiron Returns: age 47-53
- 2nd Saturn Returns: age 57-59
Going through these transitions can sometimes feel like our normal operating system has been thrown out the door. It is like our whole world gets shaken up to ensure we have the learnings, information and personal growth to continue on life’s journey.
In this article we will discuss:
- What does a Saturn Return, Uranus Opposition and Chiron Return actually mean
- What to expect from these transition periods
- Questions to contemplate in each of the the transition periods
The planet Saturn takes approximately 27-29 years to return to the position it was at our time of birth. Meaning that you will likely go through at least two Saturn Returns in your life time. We experience the Saturn Return between ages 27-29 and 57-59 however some will begin to feel the change from as early as 26 and 56.
- discipline, restraint and caution
- limits and boundaries
- life lessons, meaning and resilience.
The first Saturn Return can feel like a real shake-up. You might even feel as if you are running out of time – and in some ways you are. We think we are adults in our 20s but really it’s not until our 30s that we actually move into adulthood.
And that is Saturn’s job. The teacher who brings us obstacles and challenges so we can gain the strength and wisdom to move into this next phase of life. It shows us what is really important, what we value and what is worth pursuing in life.
A Saturn Returns period can be experienced as a time of integrity and satisfaction. Or it may feel restrictive and a time of fear and lack in life. Neither is right or wrong, it’s all about the journey and how it moves you into being the incredible being that you are.
The first Saturn Return (27-29 years)
Your first Saturn Return is your initiation into adulthood. It’s time to define yourself – your dreams, your vision, your values, your goals and how you show up in the world.
You can expect changes, new levels of responsibility and commitment in areas such as:
- Career (promotions, new direction or upskilling)
- Relationship (endings, beginnings, or simply make it or break it opportunities, new phases)
- Lifestyle (health, self-care, travel, etc)
Overall you will likely feel the need for more solitude and introspection.
The second Saturn Return (57-59 years)
The second Saturn Returns can feel less tumultuous than the first. It’s a time for moving into more of a mentor or elder role in your community. You may find yourself:
- considering what retirement really looks like for you
- navigating a new career direction
- making time for more creative endeavours
- having more time and emphasis on lifestyle choices
- navigating relationship and family dynamic changes (empty nest, grandchildren, etc).
And more. But what it really comes down to is re-evaluating those dreams and reflecting on the ultimate vision of your life and taking the steps to make them a reality.
Contemplation Questions for Saturn Returns
- What do I want for the next 5/10/50 years and how will I get there?
- What do I value in life? How do I live true to these values?
- Where do I want to live?
- What kind of people do I want in my life? How can I connect more with them?
- Are there certain people I would like to remove from my life? How do I set more boundaries with them?
- How do I want to make money? Am I happy with the way I am making money right now? What needs to change?
- What do I want to do with my free time? What bring me joy?
- How do I want to feel when I look back at my life in 10 years time? What do I need to do/change?
- What are my skills and strengths? How can I use them to my advantage?
- What do I need to let go of in my life?
- What am I willing to do to create the kind of life I desire?
Overall, it’s time reflect and evaluate the path you are on and if it is the path you desire or one you were conditioned to.
The planet Uranus takes approximately 84 years to return to the position it was at our time of birth. The opposition point is the halfway point of this journey. We experience Uranus Opposition (Nodal Shift) between ages 38 and 42 – generally lasting 1-2 years.
- doing things differently, innovation and experimentation
- independence and freedom.
This halfway point invites curiosity and courage to shake things up in your world and align with your authentic self. It can also feel like a ‘mid-life crisis’ or ‘mid-life awakening’ point.
It is an intense period of self-reflection where you are moving from the comfort of your South Node theme and into your North Node theme – the direction in which you have hungered for. It is said that if you have been listening to and acting on the cues of your North Node through your 30s, the transition may be easier.
South Node to North Node Shift
To help you navigate this shift, look at the Human Design gates that sit under each of these placements and also the astrological sign the gate sits under.
Your South Node Human Design gates represent the key themes of your earlier life (0-40years). You may find you are naturally talented in these areas. They are comfortable, safe and easy to fall back on. However staying here, won’t get you to the next evolution of your growth.
Your North Node Human Design gates represent the key themes of life beyond 40 years. It’s what you are here to step into, learn and become wise in. It’s the natural genius waiting for you to master by using the skills developed through the South Node years.
Gaining insight here can assist you in this time of questioning everything.
Contemplation Questions for this transition period
It’s a time to question everything. There are no rules. It asks you for 100% honesty and bravery to question everything in order to enliven your life and move away from restrictions and stagnant energy.
You could start with the following questions:
- What wild dreams do I hold in my heart?
- What are my deepest desires that I have pushed aside in order to conform or please others?
- Where am I holding myself back?
- What rules, routines, traditions, etc no longer appeal to me?
It’s a time to think big, embrace change and enjoy the discoveries, excitement and breakthroughs.
Chiron is an asteroid that sits between Saturn and Uranus. Chiron Returns is the name given to when the asteroid returns to the same location as it was when we were born.
It returns at the age of 50-51, however we feel it’s influences from around 47 to 53. This point in our life comes after our Saturn Returns (age 27-29 where we transition into responsible adults) and before our Uranus Returns (age 84 – where we liberate ourselves from the bounds of society).
Think of Chiron Returns as the point between our ‘Old Selves’ and our ‘New Selves’. It’s a critical turning point in which we can:
- experience major breakthroughs, changes and transformations (life and career)
- experience an intense healing crisis
- face consequences of choices and decisions
- discover latent talents and gifts
- give wounds space and new perspective and see them as gifts
- let go and heal from our past, grieve old pains and prepare a future free from fear
- let go of old hopes and dreams that no longer reflect who we are
- see a new love for ourselves and all that we are and have experienced.
Chiron is our teacher. For some it can feel like a mid-life crisis and be traumatic and/or destructive if we fall into the victim mindset. However if we lean into these new teachings and embrace the state of limbo between your old life and new life, we see that it is asking us to:
- get out of our own way
- slow down and let the path unfold
- make peace with ourselves
- surrender to the beauty of all facets of life.
It can feel like a bit of a life audit as we reflect on our timeline, see the synchronicities new perspectives and connections. The key is to find the beauty, the wisdom and the gifts.
Contemplation Question for Chiron Returns period:
- Where do I deny part of myself?
- What parts of myself do I ignore?
- Where am I stuck in my own way?
- Where am I attached to my way of doing or feeling things?
- Do I accept full responsibility for the life I have had?
- Do I play the victim card? Where do I do this?
- Do/can I acknowledge and learn from my wounds? Or do I still avoid and hide from them?
- What lessons have I learnt?
- What is my wisdom?
- How can I integrate my lessons and wisdom into the next chapter of my life?
Overall these transition periods are times for deep reflection and evaluation. Understanding your Human Design and the charts for these transition periods can provide insight, clarification and key themes to consider to ensure you are living the life you truly desire.
Meet The Author
If you loved this article please feel free to share this on your favorite social page
Inner work tips and tools
Sign up to our newsletter, no spam, just free helpful advice for life-harmony seekers.
We respect your privacy. We will never pass on your details. We promise.