10-20 Channel of Awakening – Human Design
The Human Design 10-20 Channel of Awakening is an energy based in deep love, trust and acceptance of self. It holds the energy for spiritual awakening and empowerment.
In your Human Design Chart, your channels represent how life force flows through you. It is significant to your chemistry, your charm, your essence that communicates with the world.
Channels sit within three circuits (individual, collective and tribal), further highlighting different values, principles, emotional needs and core beliefs that come with each channel/circuit.
Each of your defined channels characterisies a specific theme, function or gift that is consistent and reliable within you. If this channel isn’t defined/activated it doesn’t mean that you don’t have access to it, it just means that it shows up in various ways and in it’s own timing.
In this article you will find information relating to the 10-20 Channel of Awakening, including:
- What is the Channel of Awakening 10/20
- How do you know if it activated in your Human Design Chart
- How does unconscious or conscious definition affect its impact
- High expression and challenges of those who have this channel defined
What is the 10-20 Channel of Awakening?
The 10-20 Channel of Awakening according to Traditional Human Design is ‘a design of commitment to higher principles’. It is energy for spiritual awakening and empowerment – holding the foundations of self-love, self-trust and self-acceptance.
It is the combined energy of Human Design Gate 10: The Gate of Behaviour of Self and Self-Love and Human Design Gate 20: The Gate of Contemplation and Patience.
- Gate 10 is all about loving who you are and being an example of deep self-love. It looks to Gate 20 for support to express itself.
- Gate 20 is all about contemplating life without attachment, being present and speaking the truth at the right time. It looks to gate 10 for support in following its convictions.
The Channel of Awakening is also categorised as a Projected Channel this simply means that the channel is not connected to the sacral. Expressing the energy located here follows the same strategy as our Projector energy types – ‘wait to be recognised or invited’. What does this mean? That you must wait for correct timing for this energy to be expressed effectively – using your own strategy and authority and waiting for (authentic and aligned) invitations, openings and clear opportunities to express the Awakening energy.
How do you know if the Channel of Awakening 10/20 is activated in your Human Design Chart?
The Channel of Awakening 10/20 is activated through Gate 10 located in Identity Centre/G-Centre and Gate 20 located in the Throat Centre.
It is part of the Individual (Integration Sub-Circuit) Circuit, meaning those who have it activated are here to be different and unique in order to bring change into the world. As it sits in the Integration Sub-Circuit (or also called Integration Channel) it is deeply esoteric and mystical energy that can hold both the notion of individualistic energy and oneness with the universe.
High Expression of 10-20 Channel of Awakening
In its highest expression the 10-20 Channel of Awakening shows up through the ability to:
- Empowering others by being and loving yourself
- Speak with power and self-expression when invited
- Living true to the self in every moment
Challenges of 10-20 Channel of Awakening
Challenges that you may face with the activated 10-20 Channel of Awakening include:
- Needing others to recognise who you are in order to see it within
- Experiencing the lower frequency of energy which is self-hatred and self-loathing.
- Verbal expression is closely linked with your identity – it can hurt when it is criticised
- Tendency to be self-absorbed and unique (which is a healthy expression)
How does unconscious or conscious definition affect channels?
When channels are defined (coloured) they provide consistent, reliable communication between the two energy centres they connect in your chart.
- When channels are conscious (coloured black in traditional charts and orange if downloaded from this website), you are likely aware of how this energy plays out in your everyday life.
- When channels are unconscious (coloured red in traditional charts and purple if downloaded from this website), you may not have realised they were there unless pointed out by others. Or you may have thought that everyone felt that way.
If you have both colours it simply means that you have a mix of conscious and unconscious energy. And you may not have realised the full breadth of potential available to you or been able to articulate the gift within.
Reflective Questions for 10-20 Channel of Awakening
If you have the 10/20 Channel of Awakening defined reflect on the following questions:
- Do you shy away from the Channel of Awakening energy?
- Do you use the energy of this channel in a positive or negative way towards your self and/or others?
- Are you embodying this energy from a lack or fear response or from a place of truth and abundance?
- Where you taught to hide this energy as a child? Or that it was bad? (Consider the circuitry themes that played out in your childhood relationships)
- Where your taught to embrace this energy as a child? How does it show up for you today?
- Are you using this energy to it’s full capacity? If not, what will you do differently?
Remember to have the Channel of Awakening activated in your Human Design Chart, both Gate 10 and Gate 20 must be defined.
If you only have one of these gates activated, it is called a hanging gate and you will likely find you naturally attract those who have the other Gate defined – also called the Harmonising Gate. Be sure to go check out each of these gates for further details on how their energies play out.
Lastly, if one of the gates of the defined channel sits in your Incarnation Cross you will find your life purpose is naturally generating energy all of the time. You are not waiting for the energy of the stars or others for your Cross to function or power up – the light is always on!
Meet The Author
- Bunnell, Lynda & Ra Uru Hu. The Definitive Book of Human Design: The Science of Differentiation. HDC Publishing, 2017.
- Parkyn, Chetan. Human Design: Discover the Person You Were Born to Be. New World Library, 2009.
- Rudd, Richard. Human Design – Circuitry. Gene Keys Publishing, 2021
- Magnusson, Brynja. Incarnation Cross. Ceremoniance, 2021
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Some links on this blog post may be affiliate links that can result in small commissions and help support the site.
If you loved this article please feel free to share this on your favorite social page
Inner work tips and tools
Sign up to our newsletter, no spam, just free helpful advice for life-harmony seekers.
We respect your privacy. We will never pass on your details. We promise.